Friday, April 10, 2015

Digital Blog Post #K

Chapter 6 combined with the WebQuest project was a great idea. I never did a project that I would enjoy, but I have now. Not only that, it was nice to have more information about writing them because of the book. I enjoyed reading about taking virtual field trips and lesson plan websites. Both of these have great benefits for the teachers and students.

Of course after reading chapter 6 and doing a WebQuest project, everyone picks WebQuest to write about. Well, I'm one of those students. I didn't think I would enjoy doing this project, but then once I finished I realized I really did enjoy it. It gives students a chance to do a project or essay or something all through the computer which I think is great. If my teachers in high school would have made these for us to do, I would have loved them. You get a chance to work at your own pace, but still having some due dates.



Another topic I like from chapter 6 is 'taking virtual field trips'. I think this is so cool and an amazing experience. When I was in school when had pen-pals and we actually got to see the class one time. It was so cool and something I will never forget. Some days there isn't enough time to leave and go to a field trip, or its too much work. Children forget this or that, something happens while on the field trip, or someone gets left behind. A 'virtual' field trip gives them the chance to stay in class and feel comfortable.

Lesson plans are a MAJOR part of becoming a teacher. When you are just starting out in the world of education, it can be very difficult to know where to start. It's nice knowing there are websites that teachers can use to help with creating lesson plans. It's also nice for teachers to have access to those websites as well. The curriculum is always changing and so is the technology. Teachers have to always be changing with what's going on around them. The 'old' way may not be the right way in 5 or so years.

I think this was a great chapter to read. The WebQuest, virtual field trips, lesson plan websites, all help teachers with continuing the job of teaching. In order to teach, you need to change and develop with the  curriculum and technology present.

Work cited

Kopcha, T. (2008, December 29). WebQuest 101 Part 1 -- What is a WebQuest? Retrieved April 10, 2015, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4rel5qOPvU

Maloy, R., Verock-O'Loughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2011). Teaching with Educational Websites and Other Online Resources. In Transforming Learning with New Technologies (pp. 142-173). Boston: Pearson/Allyn and Bacon.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the chapter and hope you do take these resources into your future classroom. They are all fabulous websites - hope you added all of them to your delicious account and hopefully, you can really see the value of social bookmarking, too. WebQuests, when done well, are incredibly powerful learning tools - keep creating them! :)

    ReplyDelete